The Grants of Goulbourn

The Grants of Goulbourn

map from H. F. Wallin - 1853

map from H. F. Wallin – 1853

The Grant family has a long and influential connection with the Stittsville area. Robert Grant was an early settler on land adjacent to Concession 12 (now Hazeldean Road) in 1818. He was known as a progressive farmer and also dealt in potash and lumber. He was Goulbourn’s representative on the District Council which was the forerunner of Carleton County Council. He was also a captain in the militia, fighting in the Battle of Windmill near Prescott in Nov. 1838. He built a stone house on his farm in 1832, a house which withstood the Carleton County fire of 1870 and survived 160 years before being demolished in 1992 by a developer. His son served on local government and his property is now the site of Grant’s Crossing Shopping Center.

Farms & Families collection

Family of Robert and Eliza Grant, standing left to right John, James, and William.
Seated Bessie (Mrs John Gourlay), Robert and Mary (Mrs William Templeton) from the GTHS Photo Archives HAZ081

Our speaker is local historian and wonderful story teller and actor, John Curry.  This promises to be a informative and lively afternoon. The Goulbourn Historical Society invite all to attend this presentation at the Royal Canadian Legion – Stittsville Branch, 1:30PM Saturday May 21st 2016.

Attendance, parking and refreshments are free. And, as always, remember to tell a neighbour, bring a friend.