GTHS relives the The Great Ice Storm – 20 years after
Saturday February 17 2018, 1:30 pm at the Stittsville Public Library
It was considered by many to be the “Storm of the Century” but it started off innocently at the beginning of January 1998 as a light freezing drizzle.The accumulation of freezing rain over several days created havoc and turmoil as a natural disaster that is still felt in many communities today. Goulbourn Township was under a state of emergency for 11 days (ending January 18 1998). In the end it brought down over 100,000 kilometres of power lines and caused an estimated $2 billion of damages to eastern Ontario and southern Quebec.
Our entire community came to the rescue with community suppers, drop-in centres, shared accommodation and clean-up help. Come out and reminisce as we look back at this major disaster that affected Goulbourn township as the icy grip spread through eastern Ontario and southern Quebec. Do you have photos or stories to share? Bring them along.
This month’s event is being held at the Ottawa Public Library – Stittsville Branch Saturday February 17 2018 at 1:30pm. Come along, and bring a friend to relive our heritage. Refreshments will also be available.
GTHS Annual General Meeting – 2018 – Saturday, January 20th, 2018 at 12:00 noon.
The Board of the Goulbourn Township Historical Society is pleased to invite you to the Annual General Meeting on Saturday, January 20th, 2018 at 12:00 noon.
There will be a delicious, hot luncheon at a cost of $18 per person, followed by the Annual General Meeting.
The event will take place at St. Paul’s United Church, 3452 McBean Street, in Richmond. Parking is available on the street.
Please RSVP by Friday, January 12th to: firstname.lastname@example.org
As always, this is a great time to renew your membership(s). Our Membership Secretary will be there to assist. Membership fee is still only $15 per single membership and $20 per family.
We look forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones!
See you there!
Bob Halberstadt, Acting President, GTHS
Sesquicentennial Farms of Goulbourn Township
Farming was a well established activity in the former Goulbourn Township. A Centennial project initiated in 1967 by the Junior Farmers’ Association of Ontario (JFAO) identified farms meeting the criteria of being owned for 100 consecutive years by direct descendants of the same family and that a family member was still living on the farm, and it that was still in active operation.
As we celebrate Canada’s sesquicentennial, and in association with JFAO we have identified four families that have been farming the same land in Goulbourn Township for over 150 years. This is a noteworthy showing of dedication to their homesteads. In appreciation of the accomplishment by the Anderson, Dawson, Hobbs and Kenny families, the Goulbourn Township Historical Society celebrate this achievement.
A reception will be held on Saturday, November 25th from 11:00am to 1:00pm in the Grace Thompson meeting room at the Ottawa Public Library – Stittsville Branch, where in association with the Junior Farmers of Ontario, GTHS will be presenting the Canada 150 signs to the families.Come out and celebrate and thank our local farmers and their families for the phenomenal work they do and especially for the length of time they have been doing it. Hope to see you all there!
with Brian Hull
Nicholas Sparks (?) – photo courtesy of Brian Hull / Sparks family historian
Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 1:30pm at the Ottawa Public Library – Stittsville Branch, 1637 Stittsville Main Street Ottawa, ON, K2S Canada (map)
Come and be entertained by Brian Hull our guest speaker as he regales us with stories about his great-great-great-grandfather Nicholas Sparks. Sparks was born in 1794 and arrive in Wrightville (Hull-Gatineau) 201 years ago from Wexford, Ireland. He began working for Philemon Wright at £50 per year. He very quickly became a property owner and landlord in Bytown and owned most of the lands in the present day commercial core of Ottawa. He died here in 1862 and was buried in St. James Anglican Church Cemetery, Hull.
The presentation, parking and refreshments are all free. Remember, “tell a neighbour, bring a friend”.
See you there.
The Road to Richmond – October 21, 2017 – with Larry Cotton.
Richmond Road was built in 1818 to connect the military settlement at Richmond with Richmond Landing just below the Chaudière Falls on the Ottawa River in Bytown. The British Government had offered land in the Richmond area to British veterans of the War of 1812. Richmond Road was originally a corduroy road. Today, what is left of the road is paved. It is one of the oldest roads in Ottawa.
Corduroy Road – 1832 by Henry Byam Martin NAC115040
Looking forward to the 200th anniversary of Richmond in 2018, author Larry Cotton, will speak about “The Road to Richmond”. Larry is the author of 6 books including the well known, “Whiskey and Wickedness”. Larry’s books are all historical in nature as he has a passion for history.
This month’s event is held at the Richmond Legion <click here for map> starting at 1:30 pm. The presentation, parking and refreshments are all free. Remember, “tell a neighbour, bring a friend”.
See you there!
What Went Down in Struggle Town?
Tracey Donaldson, Acting Manager and Acting Education Officer Sarah Holla from the Goulbourn Museum present What Went Down in Struggle Town? This presentation will examine the settlement, historic figures, and structures, which have defined the narrative of Stanley’s Corners.
Settlement of land in Upper Canada became a priority for the British Government following the conclusion of the War of 1812. Discharged soldiers who accepted land grants were the first to settle in Goulbourn with their presence creating a line of defense for Upper Canada against the Americans.
Wallins Atlas 1863
Belden’s Atlas 1879
At the intersection of 9th line and Regional Road 5 (Flewellyn and Huntley Roads) a small community known as Rathwells Corners grew as a busy stopping point between Richmond and the Upper Ottawa Valley. By the 1850’s John Rathwell an early school teacher taught at a school located just west at Black’s Sideroad. Also his wife kept a stopping place or hotel at Rathwells Corners. By 1879 there was a store, St. Thomas Church, a saw mill, and a school. Later the community also supported a cheese factory, cement factory, post office and blacksmith shop. Eventually the Rathwell’s sold the Hotel to John Manchester and in turn to Jonathon Stanley. The small community then became known as Stanley Corners. It was nicknamed “Struggle Town” by the early Irish settlers, the history of Stanley Corners is marked by success, prosperity and tragedy.
SS#10 Stanley Corners 1926 – From Farms and Families
Were the settlers justified in nicknaming the community Struggle Town?
This presentation at the Goulbourn Museum, Saturday May 13 2017 starting at 1:30pm accompanies the Museum’s outdoor exhibition, which will formally launch during the summer event, Father’s Day Flashback: Ireland’s Own in June 2017. As usual, attendance, parking and refreshments are free. And remember, “tell a neighbour, bring a friend.